Tuesday 1 January 2008

Bachchan’s sorrow


However aged your parent might be, however unwell he/she might be, their loss hits you very hard, it changes you as a person. I lost my dad many years ago, so I know the feeling. So when Bachchan’s mom passed away, I was wondering how he would react.
I guess the impact might have been a bit different in his case. Because he’s lived this situation over and over again on the screen.

The television images of Bachchan looking forlorn and lost at his mom’s funeral reminded me of something he said to a newsmag many years ago. I don’t remember the exact words, but he mentioned how, after enacting so many poignant scenes of a son losing his mother, he would not know how to react when it happened in real life. My most memorable sequence is from Ramesh Sippy’s highly underrated film, Shakti. Bachchan, playing the estranged son, comes to pay his last respects to his dead mother (played by Rakhee). And all he does is briefly clutch at his father’s (played by Dilip Kumar) arm, not a single word gets spoken, all emotion expressed through the eyes. My hunch is this sequence is the closest to what might have transpired inside Prateeksha.

Still, it would be interesting to find out what emotions ran through him. Or whether he felt nothing at all. Will ask him when the time is right, and post his comments on this blog.

Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When AB said that he would not know how to react, he made it clear that probably he is an actor in real life also. Anyway you don't have to think, you just react in such situations.

rita maker