Saturday 7 November 2015

The pledge no one remembers

With all the noise about intolerance and worry about polarization, I am reminded of the pledge we used to take in school. In fact, if I remember correctly, it used to be carried in every single text book, though I wonder if that still happens, given the general crudity, insensitivity and intolerance we see all around us, even amongst the kids.

‘India is my country and all Indians are my brothers and sisters. I love my country and I am proud of its rich and varied heritage. I shall always strive to be worthy of it. I shall give respect to my parents, teachers and elders and treat everyone with courtesy. To my country and my people, I pledge my devotion. In their well being and prosperity alone, lies my happiness.’

It wouldn’t be an exaggeration to state that these few lines embody the so-called spirit of India, the basis on which this nation was born. Obviously no one took it seriously at school, and it was therefore quickly forgotten as we grew up. I believe the most telling words are ‘I am proud of its rich and varied heritage’. Right from childhood we were told to respect and celebrate India’s diversity, but we have gone on to fight it, to demolish it, to screw it.

The need of the hour is to ‘mainstream’ this pledge. It should be pasted on notice boards and websites of schools, colleges and offices. Every single parliamentary session must begin with this pledge, so should every cinema film. It should be played on television periodically. AR Rahman should be commissioned to convert it into an anthem. Would be a good start to stop the decay and rot that has set into India.

Thought for Diwali


As I write this, pre-Diwali crackers have begun to go off. And this message pops up on WhatsApp. Good one. So much better than blowing up money in smoke, so much better to bring a smile to someone less privileged. And yes, do not ask for the person’s religion, cast, etc, just handover the goodies. Happy Diwali! 


No comments: